Saturday, March 10, 2007

Choices

Well, being around all these strong athletes and mixed with my love of the martial arts and desire to learn a art I have decided that I am going to learn more of the MMA game. What does this entail? For me I want to learn more of the Shamrock Submission Fighting System in particular the positions, submissions and escapes. I am going to learn the wrestling side as well. the reason I have choosen to focus on these two aspects is I well suited for a good ground game and truth be told I do not need to take a lot of hits to the head. Of course I will learn the stand-up side side as well.

So yesterday I got on the ground and wrestled some. Now I did not 'learn' any techniques but I did feel the movements and actions of wrestling flow. The guy I wrestled is about 5'8 220lbs so I had a real chance to work with weight as well. Now, we did not go 110% but we rolled hard and had a good flow. I realize I do have good flow however my flow puts me in bad positions at this point only because of my lack of knowledge. What helps though is that I have a good understanding of movement and position in genreal and therefore I continue moving which makes it much more difficult to submit a person. Also, this shit is a heck of a cardio workout. Man, I could feel my wind


In the evening I hit some bells with a few of the guys, just basics
Clean and Press
32/5/5x5

Snatch
32/5/5x5

Rif has had some great posts discussing the physics of the bells and the concepts of power, strength, etc. What I realized last night was just how much of a power bell the 32kg is for me with the Snatch. I felt extremely explosive and my time of travel was rapid. Now, I did not time it but I think I am educated enough to know the difference. And, since I have worked with RIf personally for along time I am sure he would agree ;-). I could not believe just how awesome I felt throwing the 32 around.

Today is sparring (which means I will observe ) but I will work on the side with a couple of the guys on different techniques

4 comments:

Kai said...

Right on Joe!! I've got to say I'm not only excited to hear about this for you, as an opportunity to continue to learn & grow...But it is DEFINITELY inspiring!

Who knows...maybe you'll even get me down there to learn a few new tricks... :o)

Go get'em Strong Man!!

- Kai

Joe Sarti said...

thanks brother Kai

Tommy Shook said...

Good stuff Joe! I'm not surprised to see you rolling more and getting into it. You have a good physique for a grappler, and you're strong as heck so with some skill enhancement you will do quite well I think. Don't neglect your boxing though (maybe I'm biased a little here ;), but it will serve you well. Just make sure you wear head gear!

Joe Sarti said...

LOL, thanks Tom. yeah, I am not a big fan of taking shots to the head