Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Life Sport and the lessons/relationships, a reflection

I have had the great blessing, fortune and insight to do much of what I wanted to do in life. And, today I sit with more clarity than ever before on what this means, past, present and future tense.

Here is a list of ‘I have done this’ Individual
Squat 440 below parallel
Deadlift: 550 lbs
Bench press: 385 lbs
KB Pistol: 48 kg and a rack 32/28kg
KB Military press (strict): 52kg
Pull-up 114lbs
Barbell Military Press 215 lbs
Run ½ marathon in 1:39
40 meter dash 4.5 secs
100 meters: 10.7 secs
Mile 6:02
¼ mile 61 secs
Throw a football 60 yards
Throw a baseball 280 feet in the air
Grab a basketball rim (I am 5 feet 5 inches)
I have studied Aikido, Kenpo and Taekwondo (as well as Shamrock Submission Wrestling, Boxing and Jujitsu for the purpose of coaching in the sport)

Team or Sport
Completed a professionally in a number of adventure races covering between 20 to 60 miles (including a first place finish in one race and an overall 2nd in the Series)
Played college Rugby and ‘a few pro games”
Played Spring football at Junior College
Played Semi Pro baseball

The funny thing is who cares, not you and you should not. This for me is not about bragging rights or look at what I have done because there are many who have achieved more and better than me.

What all this signifies to me is how much I have enjoyed my life and also how much I have learned and experienced through these ‘I have done this’ in my life stuff. These experiences have helped me evolve my level of understanding of how I Be in this world and what I want to do with my life, here, now and in the future.

Truly, I could have done much better than I did in everything up there had I put the time, effort, dedication and discipline necessary to focus and achieve. Instead, I excused myself many a time due to fear of failure, lack of discipline, pure laziness, chasing girls, partying with the guys and just learning about myself, through study and examination.

There may be a classical method or a better way to learn and study yourself than I choose, but for the most part I created this path given what I had, knew, etc. I have no regrets, I have no issues with the path I have traveled in life, for I now sit in peace and clarity with a sense of understanding about all this stuff and my life to this point. Moving forward I have a clear path in terms of conscious awareness on how I plan to move and live.

I know what I know and with this awareness I empty my cup so I can continue to grow, experience and learn through self-study, inquiry and examination. I look forward to interacting through discussion with others on topics of life to explore and discover.

These experiences above are just to name a few and there are many whom helped me along the way, and in so many ways. Many of you may read this and I want to name each of you but the list is long. From little league, to high school, to college, to my adult sport experiences as a athlete and coach I am forever grateful and extend my thanks.
So many of you are such an inspiration too many others and great people, athletes, coaches, etc.

Today I sit and reflect on life, sport and my experiences because so much of my life, so many of my experiences and valuable lessons have come through sport and the people I have met along the way. I am an athlete, always have been and always will be. I am a jack of all trades, one who has dabbled in so many wonderful things that have led to so many riches in experience and community. Maybe I am a master, maybe not but I do not care because I would not trade it in for this is my life and I am grateful.

Life is what it is for each person in their own way and meaning. It is not for me too say, but for me life is about the experience, firsthand and the lessons, people and relationships you make during those moments. Off to experience life Joe’s way ;-)

Gratitude

No comments: