Friday, April 21, 2006

The Beast Challenge

So I am out in Minneapolis as an assistant RKC (kettlebell) instructor. This is a cool experience and a great opportunity to meet others in the industry and just network and learn an abundance of info.

Today we were presented with the opportunity to take the "Beast Challenge". the Beast is a 48kg (106 #'s) KB. An awesome display of iron. I have never touched nor seen in person this hunk of iron, until today. I took the challenge,

First up, the Pull-up. This is the exercise I know I can do. I failed by the hair on my chin. I rushed and I knew it and Rif and Monica called it...how goofy of me...bummed

Next: Pistol. Ok, I am strong in these for sure, but I failed with the 96 a few wweeks back. So, I created as much tension as possible and pulled myself down struggling to hold my position and I made it...now up and this was a struggle and I made it, although barely.

1 pass, 1 fail

Last: The Military press
This one by far is the most difficult! I have pressed the 40 but never anything heavier without a jerk! I cleaned it which was feat un too its own. A boom it was up and I was done

2 pass, 1 fail and I missed being a part of the exclusive club! But I will be back and Know I can do it and will do it

So, day one done!

8 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Fantastic work Joe - very exciting. I remember watching the beast challenge last year - what a cool competition.

Sounds like you're having a great time!
oh, by the way, we will be going to the Mahler/Pavel seminar in May so we look foward to hanging out with you.

Franz

cmarugg said...

Wow, crazy! I don't think I could even move that thing... nice work Joe; you are a strong guy!

Glad you're having fun out at the RKC. Say hi to Monica for me.

Joe Sarti said...

Thank you gents

Franz Snideman said...

Nice talking with you today, BEAST TAMER!

Tim Dymmel said...

Joe,

So cool to see what you're capable of. Can't wait to hear about it.

Let's do it big in NC.

Dyms

Anonymous said...

Nice work Joe. Very impressive!

Joe Sarti said...

Thank you everyone!

Pete said...

Hi Joe,

I was there at the April RKC, and it was great watching all of you tackle on the Beast Challenge. I have no doubt that you will be added to the list of Beast Tamers!