Monday, January 26, 2009

Effortless Effort

Sure sounds good doesn't it? The idea of effortless effort. One would say that is a fantasy state and the wise would say nothing because rather than put effort into reasoning with the non believer they would act without effort because the wise is in the conscious state of effortless effort.

As I practice Aikido and learn the art and read deeper into martial arts, not the commercialized versions, but the arts, the true practices of martial arts like Aikido and Bruce Lee I do believe in the state of effortless effort. In fact I can say I have felt it even though more often than not I am in a state of effort or somewhere between. This is because I am a student learning to take the philosophy and put it into the art and creativity of my practice of daily living and transform this into a state of being!

The key is moving and being within your center. Staying grounded in your own state of harmony and grace and not allowing yourself, others, or things to disrupt you. Furthermore you must be conscious at all times to be able to make the choice action that will allow you to stay center and be effortless in your response, instead being natural and flowing with the energy and dynamics of life and the situation/circumstances at hand.

Bruce Lee has a famous saying, "Be Like Water" and this is so powerful, yet so fluid and every in a state of constant motion, adapting to its surroundings persistently yet with great patience and without force making it ways where ever that way must be in the present moment. Water does not react, water acts and feels the energy of the forces in and around it moving in the direction that best suits the situation yet always remaining true to itself, in its own state of grace and harmony!

"Be Formless, shapeless like water. Now if you put water into a cup it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle, you put it into a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash, be water my friend." Bruce Lee

As a student I only reflect on my experiences and what they are teaching me in the moment. I share to generate thought, discussion on an intellectual and philosophical level. This is not a case of right versus wrong, but more a sense of curiousity and wonder, leaving me with a sense of awe inspiring Wowisms.

"My" Life truly has come to a place where I reside in a certain way. The person I am today, right now is due to the culmination of all my life experiences. I find myself to be like water and in a conscious search for center, and understanding of what that is but with no attachment to being there or finding it. I realize that I am the center, I am already there! I am water, I am effortless and I am so therefore I am.

To define me is to help create understanding but to understand me is to know that an definition I offer now will be different later for there is no definition, there is no definitive! To refer to 'my'self, I, the I am is no more than a descriptive of, not a fact or statement or definition. I have come to a place where I am moving towards the effortless effort of life and existence. I am being in harmony with the way to my best ability.

No comments: