Saturday, June 03, 2006

5 Good minutes of another kind

Tuurkish Get-Up (TGU)
24kg, 5 minutes alternating each arm done in the overhead squat version in which I accomplished 10 reps per side....and a great sweat and shoulder pump

Clean and Press
40kg/3/3x1 (done with a push press
40/2/2x (done strict press style) The key is tension and a strong clean...as Rif would say it is all easy till it is heavy and that is where focus and principles, techniques, skill come to the forefront. One is quickly reminded why the principles exist and why excellent technique makes one stronger!

Pistol
40kg/1/1 (not my best)..refer to the above statements.

something new, single side loaded pistol with the bell loaded on the same side as the leg which I performed the pistol.
24kg/2/2x1

attempted to do this exercise where I loaded the opposite arm and leg and was able to complete with the right leg/left arm but could not get out of the bottom with the left leg/right arm combo

Also, I am going to try to do a double pistol, meaning 2, 24kg kbs, one in each arm. Now, I have done this with the 12kg but never the 24kgs. I can do it just must be strong and focused!

5 comments:

Ken Black said...

You are luck to have a training partner Joe:) Looking forward to Wednesday. Be prepared for fun!

Mark Reifkind said...

are you going to try for ten minutes in the snatches joe?

Joe Sarti said...

I think that would be a great goal to work towards 200 reps in 10 minutes. Muuch like yuou I am not a big fan of the heavy snatch. I think the 32 kg is just enough weight for me and then save the heavy stuff for the clean and press, swings, pistols. I like using the snatch as a ballistic power motion and as a conditioner. The Press provides me more than enouugh strength combined with the fact that i am back to deadlifting.

any thoughts Rif?

Mark Reifkind said...

if you are going to do that you should use the enter the kettlebell system of rolling two dice and doing snatches for the amount of time that comes up.or swings if you dont want to snatch.

pavels trains it three days a week, heavy swings on one day, medium on the next and light snatches on the third. roll the dice and do snatches or swings for time. random variety. on the heavy swing day all you can get for hte rolled time, the medium day is 705 effort of the rolled time an the snatch day is 70% of the rolled time. yOu test it every 8 weeks or so.

you could also do a test for ten minutes, use that as your 100% and do percentages for the full ten minutes like I am doing( with the time constraint.)
lots of ways to skin that cat.

Joe Sarti said...

cool, i just read the book and I liked that idea of rolling the dice but the percentage system is pretty awesome as well. I read Cotters approach as well and they all seem to work well....this is going to be fun