Monday, July 17, 2006

Bells and Odd Lifts

Today I went and added a couple of tools to my training collection. Ken Black was kind enough to build a sled for me so today I bought the harness ($7), a carbinger, 25 feet of chain, and 32 feet of 1.5 inch thick rope.

Morning
2 hand swing (Pavels tip part of the focus)
40/10x5

Solid swings really focused on syncing the body and created strong core tension mixed with a strong root, glute and legs.
More about practice than anything else. Just want to become better with my technique and an increase over last weeks reps.

Presses
40/2/2x1
40/5/5x2 (Push Press)

The strict presses were tough today, for some reason I just did not have it. Part of it focus, part of it time of day (anhour after I woke up) and just plain and simply put I was off.

Decided to stop at that point and go get the other tools and practice these exercises

Sled (sandbags for weight approx 75lbs)
50 yard run/2 reps x 3 sets

mixed with

Ropes
1 Arm Wave/20reps/side x 3 sets
2 Arm wave/100reps x 3 sets

Also did 1 set of alternating 2 arm wave for 60 total reps

Good combo. the sled had a slight pull up hill and I could feel the legs driving. The core worked hard to stabilize and the fact that sometimes it felt easy and then out of the blue got really hard (felt like I was going nowhere fast) made these pretty awesome. Will need more weight eventually but really good for hips, legs, abs.

The waves were awesome and did not feel that difficult. This could be due to the shortness of the rope but at $2 per foot I did not want to go to crazy..lol Nonetheless, just do more reps and the shoulders will burn. Once I established a rhythm I found them quite a nice addition. I will need to do more practice with them before having a true sense of the whats, hows, whys.

Fun day but I am looking forward to my KB workout tomorrow!

2 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

vary your loads,reps and sets more Joe.Can't train with 40 kg all the time or you'll go backwards.

Tommy Shook said...

Agree with Rif..also, its cool to have an "off" day...you're just saving your power for a later PR;)! Ken's sleds are waaay coool! I gotta make one because i am missing out on all the fun!