Thursday, July 13, 2006

Mutant Desires

Ok, I have some many conversations with clients and the like about the 'core' and functional training. Now, I think crunches have their place but truly developing a strong, functional core one needs to do some real training with some real loads, that tax the body, the whole body.

Began today's workout with a morning deadlift session. Now, after training with Mark Reifkind in a real hard "core" gym environment with real coaching, real motivation, and real weights doing them at Cisco is truly not the feel one desires, especially me. However, this is the card I am dealt and therefore I am playing this hand!

warm-ups and form/technique focus
135/2x1
185/2x1
225/2x1
275/2x1

Real workloads
315/2x4

Awesome, could have done more. In fact, did the first set with a double over grip and then went to a mixed grip but really strong and could have easily hit 365 today.


Afternoon
After talking with Rif and discussing MMA training and more importantly the down stroke of the Snatch I was pumped to do another session. I had planned on a Snatch workout but I had tried an couple hours before our conversation and it just did not feel right so I put the bell down. What a good conversation with your old coach will do for you

So, Rif mentioned how he used the method of pulling the bell into the rack then swinging between his legs rather than throwing the bell in a reverse arc to get the bell down from lockout. I like this idea and have used it with clients but I thought it to be kind of taboo or for the weaker or less technically skilled person (beginners or those taking on a heavier weight). I was wrong.

Inspired Snatch workout
32/5/5x1
32/6/6x1
32/7/7x1
32/8/8x1

total time 8 minutes

I have to say I had much better hip and leg drive and much less stress on the shoulders and loading of the spine. I could do a lot more reps this way and i think I can get 100 in 10 minutes and from there we will have to see. that does include setting the bell down. In time I think it is feasible to get 50 to 70 in 5 minutes. time is not of the essence but I like pushing myself to accomplish things that other great, strong athletes have and do do with the KB, like Steve Cotter. Call it Mutant Desires.

Sandbags
Overhead TGU
10 reps total, 5 with each leg

Oh my goodness are these a real challenge on the core strength and shoulder strength, flexibility and stability. This is an amazing move, I was grunting and moaning

Deck Squat
10 total reps

Great move, just a great core and cardio workout. Since I have incorporated a little 2 kb DS I did not find them with this weight to be as difficult, but when your core is fatigued, like mine was and is, the challenge increases.

Core the real way, Kettlebell style mixed with some try odd lifts (that are true KB exercises).

3 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

nice work dude. no reason you cant rejoin golds( its only $19 mo) til you get your gargage hooked up to dl.not great atmospere but better than cisco.
oh when you buy your bar go here

http://jesupgym.com

great power bars cheap

Joe Sarti said...

thanks Rif! not a bad idea to join Golds for the short term

Mark Reifkind said...

golds or their is a hard core place called Flex, I think, in mountain view. bumper plates, platforms, the real deal. golds is fine though, all you need is a lot of weight, a barbell and a place to lift it. they do bitch if you drop the weights though.

now that I think of it they may not have round plates anymore. they had thouse f'up octagonal plates and I bet the replaced all the real weights.