Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Improvise, Adapt & Overcome...A reflection

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

Recently a Marine and retired Police Officer/Fireman, Glenn Fortin told of the Marine mantra of Improvise, Adapt and Overcome. Since our conversation I reflected on how I can and do use this in my everyday life.

For example, I normally do my deadlift workout on Tuesdays however with all the events happening that day it was impossible for me do so. So I improvised and moved my training day to Thursday and I was able to adapt to my situation and overcome the fact that I missed my Tuesday workout. The fact is I kept my focus on my goal and did the best I could in the present situation and still accomplished my workout. Was it ideal, no but did I follow through, yes.

I believe in having a plan and attempting to execute the plan accordingly. However, I think back to The Art of War by Sun Tzu and how in war as in everyday life things happen that you cannot foresee and force one to improvise, adapt and overcome.

The key as a coach of mine has put it is to keep your eye on the prize. The prize to me is the purpose, the intent behind the plan. Lifting the weights, doing the deadlift is extremely important as it is a key part of the plan necessary to achieve the prize. But more important to me is the purpose, the intent behind the reason I have chosen to direct my efforts to a certain prize. There is the little picture and then there is the big picture.

For me I am training myself daily at the art of flow, the art of being the best I can be, the art of leadership. By doing so I hope to lead by example and pave the way for others to be the best they can be.

I do indeed have selfish desires, goals but I always think of what and how this is going to help me with the bigger aspect of my being and those whom I touch. I love having a plan but I love having opportunities and making the most out of them.

So, have a goal, make a plan and be prepared to improvise, adapt and overcome. In doing so you will learn what it takes to execute a plan and accomplish your goal given certain situations. Your ability to improvise, adapt and overcome will help you in all areas of your life because everyday a situation will present itself where this mantra will get you through the situation.

See to other people it is not about you but about them, so if you cannot adjust you may fail to get the desired. Everyday I have a goal to make it to the top of the mountain and each day a number of paths exist and sometimes I start on one and end on another and then there are those days in which I do not make it and then those days in which I take one path all the way up. You never know what you are going to get so improvise, adapt and overcome to accomplish. This is the essence of flow.

1 comment:

Tim Dymmel said...

How is Captain Fortin doing? I met him while he was still at Sunnyvale.