Monday, August 07, 2006

A weekend in the Mountains of Mt Shasta, CA

Took a weekend get-away trip with my pops. We went to our vacation home in McCloud CA, at the base of Mt.Shasta. What a majestic place. Mt Shasta stands tall and is impressive at 14,062 feet, the second tallest Mountain in California behind Mt Whitney and the second to last mountain in the Cascade Range. Both my grandfather and father have climbed to the top and I will add myself to that list.

McCloud is a small logging town or at least used to be. Much has changed since the 1970s or so. In fact, the old mills that were once thriving and big employers, to many Italian immigrants (my dads family included) are no longer running. Still the little town remains and now is seeing a little rebirth with Pepsi Cola company bottling water in the area and employing many locals. Plus, for outdoor enthusiast there is plenty to do (Fish, Hunt, Golf, Hike, Ski, Backpack, Waterski, Kayak, Mountain and Road Biking, Running, etc.) and the area has not lost its natural beauty that has existed since I can remember.

This past weekend was about Golfing with pops and some of our family in a tourney in McCloud. Just a great excuse to spend time with the family in a beautiful part of the world. We played 2 rounds of 18 (in which I seemed to forget all I knew about how to swing a club).

In addition, I went for a beautiful trail run out in the woods just behind our house are a number of old logging roads that lead to everywhere but nowhere at the same time. I saw beer tracks, mountain lion tracks, deer tracks, a tree in which a beer had sharpened his or her claws, hawks, blue jays, even some deer (on the course).

Of course, I took time to stretch and do joint mobility with the family and the overwhelming response was just how amazing and helpful this stuff is "at reducing pain" and "increasing range of motion". Now they are spoiled and I have to teach them more...lol

The stuff we do is so simple in many ways but people just do not make the time to incorporate these basic concepts. Sad but true. I am glad to be out there educating and opening people to new ways, new ideas (at least to them), and helping them feel better. What a job, what a profession I have. I think this weekend I have 2 new people who are committed to make mobility and flexibility part of their lives and that is a success.

2 comments:

Pete said...

Excellent, Joe! I am constantly amazed at how simple the JM drills are, but the amount of payback they bring is huge! It is a great feeling to reintroduce someone back to their own range of motion.

Joe Sarti said...

Yes, Pete I am a big fan of the dynamic movements/flexibility/mobility. I do them on a daily basis even though I do not blog them.

hope we can get together when I come to visit Ken in Sac