Monday, March 19, 2007

0 and 5, a complete sweep by the Anacondas over our team plus we lost the alternate bout.
1 tap out, first round to a choke
1 guilatine (chock out), first round
2 decisions unanimous and no questions in my mind that these were correct
2 split decisions (which we lost). This however was crap and we are not the only people to think so. Our alternate controlled the fight and left the other guy with a bloody and bruised eye and face. And, Brian Ebersole took a tough decision. I know he is not well liked by the CA commission, etc so I am not surprised that he lost.

So, all and all this was the worst outcome possible and completely unexpected by all. We are all disappointed and highly motivated to turn our season around. I have learned a lot more about the sport, the game and the politics. One thing for sure it is never easy working with one of the more 'hated' coaches in Frank, which truth be told is a lot of envy/jealousy on the parts of others.

Back to the drawing board. We have a good team we just have some things to do. One thing is become more attacking/aggressive and less defensive. We have to set the pace, control the game and this sets up more opps as the fight progresses. And, it will take other guys out of their game plan. this is a sport where aggression with smart choices, picking of spots is highly rewarded, especially in the case of decisions.

the IFL as a league and organization is first class. They are young in terms of a business but they have strong leadership, a good direction, a good business model and financial backing to allow them time to build a presence. I am honored to be in this league as top to bottom this is a wonderful organization to be associated with and has quality fighters and coaches to boot. I look for great things with the IFL and our team

PS: have been doing workouts, mainly conditioning/bodyweight but will be back on the bells tomorrow

3 comments:

Tommy Shook said...

Joe,

Politics in boxing just plain sucks. I know the score on that one MMA, boxing, whatever.
Your guys are plenty fit and well conditioned, no dispute there. Who is their boxing coach?

Joe Sarti said...

Tony DeMaria and thank you for the feedback. I wish I had more time with them. I truly do not get more than about a week with the guys. However, this next I am requiring they come out for 2 weeks!

We are working on having the team full time in San Jose, which will make a HUGE difference on all levels. The most conditioned of the guys is the 2 guys I have here in San Jose. They went and flipped tires, etc. with me and Ken. I plan on coming out that way again, would love to hook up with you as well

Tommy Shook said...

I'll be in Sac. this coming Saturday 3/31 for ken's workshop. I would love to visit with some of the guys some time as well. Perhaps I should make a trip your way some time.