Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Training like a fighter

Christmas is over and the ramp is going up. Over the past 4 days I have done 500 push-ups and 100 pull-ups just something with all the family stuff.

However, today I went back to work with Frank and we hit the cardio conditioning hard. We combined shadow, sprints, rowing (machine with back emphasis), bodyweight deck squats to burpees all in varying circuits. We even shadowed with each other....lol and my goal was to try and hit him in the head :-P. Trust me, this was a heck of a conditioning session.

Headed back tonight for some more work and back on the bells tomorrow.

Hope you all have had a wonderful holidays

Sorry for the vague aspects of the training but I do not want to get to specific out of respect to Frank. Believe me when I say there is pain and suffering...lol

4 comments:

Tommy Shook said...

Training like a fighter!

Good stuff Joe, and it is amazing what levels of local muscular endurance fighters develop from the thousands of push-ups, pull-ups and BW squats that a lot of them do.

I was always a lean and "wiry" fighter from training this way, although I lifted weights it was of the brief variety (a few cleans or deads here and there). Adding some explosive work to this program would undoubtedly develop seriously deadly punching power.

If I had it to do all over again...

If you are going to "spar" with a more experienced guy, his head will be tough to hit because he constantly moves it. early on it may be better to jab him in the shoulders and chest while attacking the body. Eventually you'll wer him down and he'll be easier to hit "on the button"-of course you have to remember that he's trying to do the same thing to you;-).

Good fun bro!

Joe Sarti said...

sweet Shook, good fun it was and more of just conditioning for Frank and me conditioning, learning and do what I can to help him.

Tommy Shook said...

Hey Joe, does he or any of the guys ever train with a slip bag, sometimes called a maize bag?
Just curious, as this is a great tool to learn some good defense.

Joe Sarti said...

Not sure Shook, I will ask him