Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Max Press, Weighted Pull-ups & More

This is the Heavy or Max Upper Body day. Continuing off the introduction last week of the Barbell Military Press, this week I practiced more. I added some new moves to the accessory work as well. Building off of the goal of becoming proficient at the muscle up, I need to make sure I keep the skill practice and elements in the program.

Barbell Military Press
95/5
115/5
135/5
155/2
175/1 x4

Felt heavy at 175 initially but I just need to find my body position. Far from my max on this move, feels good to work the groove. I powered through the sticking point, taking the 'shove' concept on the speed day and driving the bar. I am certain the addition of the dips/muscles ups will have a good carryover.

Weighted Pull-up, Dead hang tactical
16kg/3x5

lacked a little power here today. Need to keep up the volume on these. First sets were good, last set a struggle.

Ring Dips
5x5

Went deep, shoulder below top of ring mimicing the transition of the Muscle Up and practicing the drive while keeping the elbows in tight and externally rotating as I pressed out fo the dip. These were excellent and the depth requires a serious strength and focus

Muscle Up Transition
varied the body position and height of the rings as the reps progressed. Practiced singles at each height, hitting 3 at the final position. Not so concerned with rep count more so with technique and quality practice. I believe it was 10 reps total, possibly 12.






Toes 2 Bar (max reps for 1 set), kipping
20

Ran short on time so finished here.

30 Minutes Yoga Practice

2 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

are you scaling for a kipping muscle up or a static one?

Joe Sarti said...

I would love to move to a static, the ultimate goal.