Friday, May 09, 2008

Meditation

If there is one thing I can say that truly became clearer in my life from my Yoga Certification experience it is the value of Meditation and the daily practice of. While at the certification we meditated daily and multiple times a day. In addition to quiet meditation we used active forms as well, such as the yoga practice itself. The goal of meditation is to quiet the mind, to create a stillness, a calm where all thoughts, etc empty the mind and there is nothing but the beauty of emptiness and clarity that instills peace. No sounds, no words, no images, no this, that or anything.

Now, my experience with meditation is 'limited' but through practice, through interaction, through reading others stories and buddhist text I realize that this is a life long practice and creating that stillness, achieving enlightenment may or may not ever happen on the level we 'think' it should. More to the point, for me I get moments of stillness it is rare that they last more than 5 seconds, however I often experience multiple such moments in a meditation practice. So, I work to get them to last a bit longer and be more frequent and if I continue to practice, continue to be mindful, continue to be present and continue to believe this will indeed be the case.

Meditation is not about time, it is not about perfection it is about practice and working toward a state of enlightenment or another way to be it is to look for a peace and calm of the mind, letting go of thought and truly just being present. If you have ever been here and now then you know. If you have yet to then I encourage you too learn and feel what it is like. I would think that once you do you will find yourself wanting to go back again and again or at least this has been my experience.

There are many great texts and guided meditations as well as places that will and do teach people who wish to practice.

Enjoy the Peace and Calm, the stillness

No comments: