Sunday, February 18, 2007

Training and Team Tryouts

Yesterday we had tryouts for our IFL and Submission Fight Team. Because I knew I was going to have a long day I went out and did a quick workout.

Military Press
40/3/3x3

Now these are really coming along, not in terms of reps but pure strength and ease of movement. Now, 40 kg is not 'easy' but the reps are beginning to look more like a weight I can handle with comfort.

Snatch
40/3/3x3

So on the first set I brought the bell down through my shoulder and the left side felt really smooth and strong and the right was ok. However, come the second and third sets the move become strong and explosive for both sides and did them in a downward swing from the top. I am pleased with my progress here and with my overall strength. I do not want to jump the gun but I am going to get myself a Beast soon and conquer that beast challenge once and for all.


TRYOUTS

These are a lengthy process where we interview, test the athletes condition, test their techniques and then put the in the 'ring' and test their skills on the various aspects of MMA (box, wrestling, kickbox, mma, etc).

Yesterday we had 5 guys come out as we were specifically looking for a 170 and 205. So we got two 170 and three 205 guys out to test their mettle. The tryouts are grueling and more than anything the one thing that always seems to show is the heart or lack there off.

I was very impressed with the heart side yesterday but not as impressed with the technical/skill ability of these men. Now, all have some ability and all are more than coachable which true be told is a positive thing as we can train and develop them.

We had 2 gentleman who stood out, a 170 and 205 which is perfect...both have some skill and show much potential/promise and are guys we can have ready for our March 17th fight against Bas Rutten and his Anacondas.

I am looking forward to more such tryouts as we are now on the look for talent on an ongoing basis. Our goal is to expand our talent pool and have more fighters fighting for our teams. Things are progressing quite well.

No comments: