Monday, February 05, 2007

Weekend Overview

One heck of a weekend. The common theme, great people! After Friday I spent the first part of Saturday morning hangining at a local coffee shop in La Jolla doing some work and some writing. From there I went and had breakfast overlooking the ocean,
peace and quiet.

Then I took a stroll along the ocean watching the high tides, big rollers and body surfers. I found a great spot on a rock formation on the beach to do a workout. I did some joint mobility that had a combo of martial art moves and yoga moves….love when people stop and watch ☺

Then came David Weck. A brilliant and creative man with an enormous amount of energy and a desire to learn and share, a man of evolution. We worked out, shared ideas, mainly me listening to him and learning. If you do not know, Dave is very philosophical and extremely deep in his thought processes. As he said, like attract like. I love the fact that through it all he laughs, smiles and has fun. Take time to check out his site and his products!

From there I went to laguna Niguel to have dinner with my cousin and her husband, just fantastic people. Then I took off to the Riverside area to meet with Brian Foster, our 185 on the IFL team and his friend Tobias and beautiful wife Summer. The purpose, Joshua Tree and my first ever Rock Climb.

Sunday morning we head out to the Joshua Tree National Forest, my first ever time. We stopped for a great breakfast ( I know, not part of the Warrior but heck I was in vacation). Their I had the great fortune of meeting a world reknown rock climber Dave Mayville and another great man Ethan who owns a store at the main road leading to the entrance. Ethan was kind enough to give me a free pair of brand new rock climbing shoes.

Joshua Tree is an amazing place set in the southern part of California in the high desert. Of course it is known for the Joshua Tree and its amazing rock formations which offer the rock climbing community some of the best and most challenging climbs in the world.

As we were driving in the car I pointed out to Brian this guy sitting way up on top of a rock about 150 feet high. Brian looked over at me said 'that is where you are going to sit' and I looked over at him and with a higher pitched voice "FANTASTIC' very sarcastically I might add but with a smile. The realization set in and I have to say I felt fairly relaxed. Inside I knew I had no choice but too make it to the top.

Climbing is one of those things in life that when you on the mountain that you are truly in the moment! Moment such as these are rare and when you have to the opportunity to feel, enjoy, experience such thing you must enjoy. For me all I could think about was my next move, my next foot or hand position. I never thought about falling, never thought how high I was, or how much fear I have of hieghts, or my feelings of vertigo. I just said to myself place your hand or foot here, etc. and make it to the top.

The climb was a 2 pitch climb (2 parts) with the first part involving hand holds, foot rests and a couple of traverses up about 25 to 30 feet. The second pitch was quite diiferent as it involved climbing up a crack ( a split between two giant rocks). This portion was way longer and had little hand and foot holds instead placing an emphasis on friction and leverage. So, my knees, shins, and elbows have some soft tissue discomfort and skin chaffing.

Along the route, whilein the moment I stopped took a deep breathe and reflected on where I was and what I was doing. I got in touch with my fear and I acknowledged it and become more peaceful with the idea of the fear being healthy.

Reaching the top I felt fulliflled that I truly took a step forward in my life on a mental, physical, emotion and very spiritual level. I sat on top of that rock and just meditated realizing what I had just accomplished, where I had come from to get to this point and being thankful for my good friends Foster, Tobias and Summer for taking time out to enjoy a moment in time, a life altering moment, a shift and evolution. They will forever be linked to me for this.

150 feet in the air on a giant rock known as Intersection Rock in the Joshua Tree National Forest with my soul full and great people.

Then came the rappel, climb out to the ledge (scary) and drop off quietly falling 120 feet down where we bouldered the other 30 feet. I love scrambling free on rocks creating paths, jumping and flowing from point to point, rock to rock.

By the way Dave Mayville did a 5.11C climb free and solo up that same rock in 5 minutes. I have never seen anything like it nor could I have ever imagined anything like it....seeing is believing but we were all in awe. Nothing like watching the best do what they do best.

Dave is also a world champion level arm wrestler so I had to take the challenge and we arm wrestled on the hood of Tobias 4Runner. I was fine with the strength until he matched me with Technique and then it was over before I could blink...lol

Can you just say AMAZING weekend on so many levels for so many different reasons and with so many AWESOME people. I am so grateful and so ALIVE. that is what this weekend was about living in the moment and experience life with great people and walking into the sunset feeling alive awaiting the next days Sunrise.

No comments: