I came across these in doing my own personal research for my continued evolution. I have to say I relate to these rules and found them thought provoking and wanted to share, hope you enjoy.
Thirteen New Rules for Living
By Frederic M. Hudson, Ph.D. and Pamela McLean, Ph.D.
1. No one owes you anything - not the government, your employer, your family,
or your spouse. Although the world around you is less and less definite and
predictable, it is no less valuable and mysterious. To rejoice in living you must
invent your own future, entrepreneur your life, and expect surprises.
2. Global change is the major force in your life, and in the lives of everyone on
earth. We are all in training for a new era for all humanity. Don’t whine about
it. Take advantage of the expanding possibilities now available to you in our
world of constant flow.
3. You have no ultimate safety, security or guarantees, so don’t expect any.
What you have are endless opportunities to rearrange your priorities for
work, play, and life. Choose wisely, and expect more choices to follow.
4. Your life is an adventure, a journey through time. There are no lasting arrival
points and no lasting endings. Learn how to say “hello” and “goodbye” with
grace and style. Everything is flow—you just keep moving. Prepare now for
the long haul of ninety years or more. But live in the present, day by day.
5. Know how to recycle yourself. Live each chapter of your life fully, then invest
in a transition and begin the next chapter. Weave, unravel, and reweave your
life, over and over. No matter what your age or situation, design your future
as your manifest destiny.
6. You are your career, a portfolio of ever-changing talents, skills and
preferences. Design your own work, over and over again, connected to the
futures you prefer.
7. Refuse to be defined and consumed by your career work. It’s an important
part of the whole journey, but it’s not the journey itself. Your deepest agenda
is your soul’s work, your holistic callings to create success and caring in all
the parts of your life.
8. There are two prerequisites for taking this journey through life: Continuous
care for your body and your finances. You don’t have to be perfectly fit or
wealthy to have a great life, but you need a body that supports your dreams,
and funding to make your dreams happen. Master nutrition, exercise, and
9. The best way to guide your life through infinite change is to follow your own
values and vision. Like a rudder, your values will keep you on a course your
integrity prefers. Like a sail, your vision will pull you ahead into legitimate
10. Your best future happens when you have the courage to be: reach, learn,
risk, dare, leap. Embrace the unknown ahead. Live on the outer edge of your
possibilities, not on the inner edge of your security. Be active, not passive.
11. Here is how to conduct your journey: Have a long-term purpose with short-
term goals. Be definite and flexible. Trust the ocean but stay in charge of
your boat. Ride the waves.
12. Everyone on earth is linked to the same destiny. We share the same air,
water, food, and capacities for total destruction. We are in each other’s
hands, one for all and all for one.
13. Learn how to grow older and better. Achieve mastery as a human being—
model wholeness, wisdom, and caring. Be grateful. Leave a legacy that
makes a difference.
As you find better rules, and you will, replace these rules with them.