Friday, January 26, 2007

Fear and overcoming

Fear is a primal feeling. I have fears but realize that these are mental. However, I also accept these fears and embrace them for what they are. My awareness gives me the strength to make choices of how I want to deal with these fears.

Yesterday I took the opportunity to work on one of my fears. I went indoor rock climbing. The first wall was approximately 30 feet, not too bad and only a 5.7 (level of climb). Relatively quick and easy for me which was good for my confidence. Of course, I am not well versed in the techniques and strategies of top notch climbers so I tend to rely on what I do best and it worked. :-)

the next climb was truly a challenge. The height approx 50 feet with a slight inversion and the need to round a corner and transition to another wall. The skill level was 5.8, considerably harder for me. thank goodness I was with some strong climbers who could coach me from the ground. And I am thankful for my internal competitiveness and drive to conquer my fear, one step at a time. I was able to climb the route and with relative easy.

I noticed when I looked down, all my focus and attention was drawn to my feet and the next position of my feet. I never saw the ground, an interesting phenomenon.

It always feels good to challenge yourself and push yourself beyond your limits, beyond the limits of the human mind and evolve the human spirit. Now, i am not running out to climb half dome or do I feel that I have 100% conquered my fear, but I faced it and challenged my fear and took a step in the right direction.

This is training in a nutshell, pushing yourself and challenging yourself to take steps beyond your perceptions.

I am at peace and a wiser person.

No comments: