Monday, January 29, 2007

Sunday

My first opportunity to wrestle with Maurice Smith. He is a big man weighing in at 230+ and very strong as well as intelligent. Today he rolled with me and the goal was for me to work out of the mount position to side control. Let me just say that is not easy when you have little to no technique and a man who is 60lbs + with technique. Nonetheless it was quite fun and I learned some things. Always good for me to get in and learn, this gives a whole different perspective and an opportunity to apply the things I see.

This was on top of a weekend where we held tryouts for our IFL and Shamrock Submission Fighting teams. We had four gents who made it through a tough gamet of exercise, technique and application. One guy did take a bit of a beating by Brian Ebersole (a tough cat who really knows how to fight) who twice knocked him close to out, as close as you can get.

We did have one real promising prospect in the Heavyweight division and we are excited to work with him and see if he can step up.

All in all another great weekend. The team is getting stronger as a whole and there is a difference with Frank, Tony and Myself being around consistently and the IFL guys coming and training really has changed the complexion of the training and I see these guys all stepping up. Excitement is in the air, we are raw, young and talented.

3 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

man that must have been fun. what an education you are getting joe, that must be a freakin blast! good for you dude keep up the good work.

Joe Sarti said...

unreal Rif. Plus Erik Duus invited me to join the Stanford Judo club and to teach him and hisyoung wrestlers the kettlebells. I pinch myself everyday man and I am a student everyday with frank and all these guys

Mark Reifkind said...

wow, thats great, it just keeps getting better eh?