Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Snatches and jerks + clubbells

My back felt tight and tweaked from my poor attempt at a deadlift the other day, tried to stiffleg the darn thing, of course not intentionally. therefore instead of snatching the 40 today I went and did the 24, which is a fantastic bell for me and provides plenty of max acceleration work and force production.

Snatches
16/5/5
20/5/5
24/5/5
24/6/6x2
24/8/8x6

total of 130 reps. Key poitns push back the hips and shoulders at the start of the descent which in turn reduces the centripedal force due to a shorter radius (lever) and this means less hand stress, closer to the body and a faster ascent all while reducing the stress on the back as well. Plus I can use more of my strong suit, my legs with the squatty style snatch. I like the form and the speed.

Jerks (2kb)
16/5
24/5
32/5x3
24/10

Stay flat on the heels on the initial dip and drive those bells of the chest with a strong bump, dip and catch. Love this move, it feels very athletic and natural. For me there always is a learning curve but once I get something I feel I can perfect it and I am on my way.

Clubbell work: my first such experience
rock its
front back swings
one arm side rockits
one arm side swings
front swing to torch( one and two bells)
pendulums ( one and two bells)
inside/outside pendulums (first time I tried these,solid)
flag presses one and two bells
torch press one and two bells
front press one and two bells
back position work
armpit cast( first time for this-not bad at all glad to see those millions of db and machine pullovers I did weren't wasted)
swipes with one and two bells( another first, rough but no problem with basic form,excellent!)

I am not sure exactly what to say. Different in a very good way and enjoyable. Lots of skill and technique involved but a nice compliment to the KBs. As rif said, this needs its own day as my shoulders and forearms were already well worked and there is a heavy amount of grip and shoulder work. Interesting mechanical movement patterns combined with physics and a very interesting conceptual model....things that make you go hmmm.

Great workout, body feels really good plus I had a good yoga workout last night and will do some nice stretch work today.

No comments: