Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Snatches and jerks + Z

Submax snatch training day with an emphasis on finding my hand position. Rif and I teamed together and I think I have the idea formulated now just need more practice....rest in the hand diagonally and lead the downstroke with my hand at angle thumb goes back first much like I perform the clean.

Snatch
24/5/5
24/6/6
24/7/7
24/8/8
24/9/9
24/10/10
24/9/9
24/8/8

Jerks (2kb)
24/5
24/6
24/8
24/5 could not find my groove
24/8 (with Olympic shoes.. a first)

These are a great exercise and I really enjoy the move. Talk about a good quad workout. A great deal of coordination is necessary but once you get it what a pretty move.

Also Rif introduced me to some Z for my shoulder which was tight from a rough nights rest...felt like pec minor was locked up. It helped for certain but so much to learn and still in the earliest of early stages...interesting to say the least and I can see aspects of the system and its effectiveness, whether it is the end all be all I am uncertain and whether it is the best things for my clients and something they will do on there on only time will tell. All I can say is in my experience as noted in my friend Franz's blog time is precious and you have to sometime find things that work in the shortest and most effective means which is why I choose the KB.

The Kettlebell provides in my eyes an all encompassing tool that addresses Range of motion, strength, cardiovascular, agility, coordination, power, speed, and all this can be accomplished in a short and effective period of time. I am not sure there is a more comprehensive and effective system for people than the KB, especially those with 'limited time' (for whatever reasons) to exercise. Does it replace other systems, well that is debately on many levels. There is so many factors to consider when making decisions with implementation of systems, programs and plans. You cannot do it all unfortunately and become a master and in many cases just effectively do the movements.

Ok, off my high horse. I just have my thoughts and feelings via my experience. I have found many of the systems I have been shown to be amazing and effective however it is about the individual in my mind and finding something that fits that person and something they will do consistently for life.

4 comments:

Lauren Brooks said...

I couldn't agree with you more about the kettlebell. It is definitely the tool of choice, especially when there is a limited time. Efficiency is key!

Joe Sarti said...

thx Lauren! glad someone sees things my way

Franz Snideman said...

Great post Joe! So true my friend,we all have to find the activities that give us the biggest results in the shortest amount of time. If that is Z, great, if it is Yoga like stretching, great, if it is KB's, awesome!


For me KB's are the fountain of youth, period!

Joe Sarti said...

Thank you Franz. I second your points ;-)